Sunday, September 30, 2012

September 30, 2012

“No one is so empty as he who is full of himself.” This quote and others go through my head as I contemplate the topic of humility and my message today. Last night in my dreams I pictured an outfitter, someone who equips and sends out people into the wilderness, perhaps on horses. The outfitter is the expert, and his orientation is completely to the other, the people he for whom he is providing. His goal is not to prove that he is right, but to provide a safe and enjoyable experience for others. Philippians 2 Jesus emptied himself (literally in the greek “poured out himself”) taking the form (status) of a slave… and being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death – even death on a cross. (Message – He lived a selfless, obedient life and then died a selfless, obedient death – and the worst kind of death at that – a crucifixion.”) “Because of that obedience, God lifted him high and honored him far beyond anyone or anything, ever, so that all created beings in heaven and on earth – even those long ago dead and buried – will bow in worship before this Jesus Christ, and call out in praise that he is the Master of all, to the glorious honor of God the Father.” (9-11) This morning the question for Bruce Baxter is: how do I empty myself as Christ emptied himself? • Be filled with the knowledge and presence of God • Be attentive to the needs of others • Become obedient even to the point of death • Expect God to be the one who lifts me up (He doesn’t need my help!) Help me today, most Holy Lord, to be filled with your presence as I attend to the needs of others, obeying you in all things even to the point of death as I trust that you will raise me up in your time and according to your purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment