Sunday, September 23, 2012

September 23, 2012

I walked out barefoot to get the paper, and even though the air is chilly (45 degrees) and I can see my breath, the ground is still fairly warm. We are in the time of transition. Today is the first official day of autumn. This afternoon we have the church golf tournament, which I always enjoy. Yesterday I sat in section CCC at the Plaster football stadium with many people from Wesley and watched the Bears play the Salukis from SIU Carbondale, with Jackson MacLachlan their kicker. He made two extra points after touchdowns, and hit the upright on his one field goal attempt. I learned yesterday morning as he spoke at our men’s breakfast that Riad’s brother was killed in Saudi Arabia this week. Last night I learned that one of our members, who sang in the choir died of an apparent blood clot. Pastor Jerry spoke with her husband by phone. James 3 God has designed humans with the capacity to speak, and words become our greatest tools. Words also become dangerous weapons. In this chapter the writer describes the power of words, for good and for evil. He states that the tongue is set on fire by hell itself. He also states that this should not be, and there is a better way. In verse 17 he says “But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits …” I desire to continue walking and talking in the wisdom from above, making it the course of my life. Guide me today, most Holy Lord, that I may say the words that are healing, wholesome and that bring a harvest of righteousness sown in peace for those who make peace. Guard me from saying anything that is not from Your heart and according to your will. I desire to follow You and the example You set on earth in my speech, demeanor, actions and conduct. May it be so today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment