Sunday, September 9, 2012

September 9, 2012

John Ed Mathison from Frazer United Methodist Church in Montgomery, Alabama will bring our morning message today at Wesley. He is a great servant of Christ, a delightful speaker, and a leader of the church at a national and international level. I am looking forward to his message today as he speaks about “When a Church Refines the Possible.” Yesterday was a very good day, as 58 leaders of Wesley gathered in the morning to hear my update of the ministry and vision and to experience John Ed’s teaching on leadership. In the afternoon I planted grass seed – Fescue in the front and Bermuda in the back. Planting Bermuda grass, which I have been fighting for 5 years felt like Romans chapter 1 in which it states that “God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity” (verse 24), as the fescue I have been trying to establish has been overrun in patches by Bermuda grass, which makes a nice ground cover. So I bought Bermuda seed and will just let it have its way in my backyard. I seeded the front with Fescue, still trying to give it a fighting chance! I was able to squeeze in a 15 minute run. In the evening 45 of us gathered for dinner at the Highland Springs Country Club and enjoyed dinner and an inspirational talk by John Ed on the eternal value of investing in the kingdom of God. This morning he will preach at all four services and sign books in the Gathering Area. Psalm 6 David cries out to God asking Him to “not rebuke me in Thine anger, nor chasten me in Thy wrath. Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am pining away; Heal me, O Lord, for my bones are dismayed. And my soul is greatly dismayed; But Thou, O Lord – how long?” As I read this, I am aware that this is the common cry of the human soul – guilty, and longing for forgiveness and healing. This is the human need at which my Spring 2013 material is aimed. Today I am blessed to be living in the light of God’s love, as revealed in Jesus Christ, feeling the full power of His grace and my desire to share this good news with others who are where David is as this Psalm begins. This is one of the 7 “penitential” psalms (see also Psalms 32, 38, 51, 102, 130) George O. Wood has written a great devotional commentary called A Psalm in Your Heart and reminds us that in verses 8-10 David describes the relief and confidence he has that “the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping. The Lord receives my prayer.” (Verses 8-9) I desire for many within the sphere of my ministry and influence to experience God’s grace, forgiveness, healing, and renewal. I puzzle over how I can best help folks respond to what God is doing in their lives. Guide me Holy Lord as I walk in the light of your love and forgiveness, ministering your grace to all I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment