Tuesday, September 4, 2012

September 4, 2012

The prophet Jeremiah blasts people who put their trust in mere humans, “who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the Lord. They are like stunted shrubs in the desert…” (17: 5-6) He then makes a comparison which is powerful, describing “those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green and they never stop producing fruit.” (7-8). These verses remind me of Psalm 1, and also have been illustrated in my backyard, as the dogwood tree planted high on a berm has withered leaves, and the maple tree planted lower in the yard (not by a stream, but where I water regularly) has endured this year’s drought wonderfully. Guide me today Lord as I trust in You and not human effort, especially not mine. Guide me as I choose to follow You, serve You, represent You and rest in Your fruitfulness in my life. Guard me from trusting in humans or being distracted from Your path. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment