Saturday, September 29, 2012

September 29, 2012

The 43rd chapter of Isaiah begins with God stating through the prophet “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!” I read this chapter and take it very personally. In verse 21 it is said “The people whom I formed for Myself, will declare my praise.” In the margin of my Bible I have written “Yes Lord, I am one of those, and will declare your praise! 11-28-85; amen 3-6-89; Yes! 9-27-02; Again in 3-5-11. I continue to recognize that I am one of the people formed by God and I declare His praise. In 1985 I was pastoring Shiloh and Defiance, David was 11 months old and Bethany was not yet conceived. In March of 89 David was 4, Bethany was 6 months old, and I was pastoring in Wellsville and Middletown. In September of 2002 I was in my 12th year of pastoring SunRise, David was a senior in High School and Bethany was in 8th grade. In March of 2011 David and Danelle had been married for 2 years, Bethany was about to graduate from APU, and I was pastoring Wesley. These few notes in this Bible that Audrey gave me as an engagement present in 1982 have affirmed my love for God through several seasons of my life. This has been a busy week of pastoring! I have asked each of our staff to keep a time log for these last two weeks in September, which are pretty typical weeks. This is proving to be very helpful to me as I analyze my use of time and my priorities. Last night we had the children’s Fall Festival at Wesley from 5:30 -7:30 which provided a great opportunity for me to mingle and meet parents and grandparents of our Kids of Creation. I went to the gym and worked out afterward, first time for me to be there on a Friday night. Audrey and I had a late lunch date, and then were on our own for dinner. Last night she had dinner with our niece Lauren and they watched “so you think you can dance” over here at our house into the wee hours of the night. Today we have a funeral at Wesley led by Jim Massey, and I need to write and produce the teaching portion of the Spring 2013 Basic Grace material, complete my sermon, and sketch the outline for Oct 7 sermon and the series it begins. Steve and I will work on the LHS this afternoon, replacing some bushings under the carriage that holds the engine. I will take my day off on Monday to ride motorcycles with other United Methodist Pastors from around the state, and then will participate in the Mission Council of the annual conference led by the Bishop on Tuesday. Audrey is in her 7th week of teaching the college age Sunday school class, and she is really enjoying it. God has given her the gift of teaching and she is a great speaker. Wesley provides a context for her ministry, and I picture it continuing to expand. Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I live the abundant life, declaring Your praise through this season of late middle age with an empty nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment