Monday, September 3, 2012

September 3, 2012

The third chapter of Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 7) is rich with teaching. “Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” (Verse 3) This has seemed to me to be one of the most universal conditions of humans – to be especially sensitive to imperfections in others that are present in their own lives. For example, parents will be hypercritical of their children when they evidence similar problems that the parents struggle with. A great application of this truth is to create an inner barometer that is tuned to notice the faults of others, as a means of examining self in those same areas. For example, if it bugs me that someone is late for a meeting or appointment, I need to examine my own approach to being on time. If it bothers me that someone is sloppy in appearance, than I need to examine my own approach to dress and grooming, etc. “Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.” (Verse 7) Jesus is teaching that “your Father who is in heaven [will] give what is good to those who ask Him (11). I must remember this today and everyday – God desires to give good gifts to His children. In verses 24 – 27 Jesus applies his sermon by telling his hearers that “everyone who hears these words of Mine, and acts upon them, may be compared to a wise man, who built his house upon the rock…” I desire everyday to build my life upon the solid foundation of the Word of God, of a life hidden with Christ in God. Guide me today on this national holiday to live in the light of Your truth and Your love. I desire to please You in everything I do today. I love You Lord. Thank You for this day which You have made, and the work and rest to which You have called me.

No comments:

Post a Comment