Friday, February 17, 2012

February 17, 2012

A nearby water main break left us briefly this morning without water. I used some from an emergency supply I keep in the basement to make coffee. Yesterday I was in Joplin with a couple of pastors and we discussed emergency preparedness. This minor interruption reminds me of the dependency we have on the systems of delivering water, electricity, natural gas, gasoline and food. They are so easy to take for granted until there is a failure. I am thankful that City Utilities responded promptly and restored water service. I desire to be personally prepared, and to make sure that the faith community Wesley is prepared to be a resource for the community.

Acts 8

Following the stoning death of Stephen, Saul began to fiercely persecute the church. This resulted in a scattering of Christians into various communities beyond Jerusalem and Israel. Philip, one of the seven new deacons, went to the city of Samaria, and many people believed on Jesus when they heard him teach and saw the signs and wonders he performed. A magician-sorcerer (Simon) believed and was baptized. The apostles in Jerusalem sent Peter and John to Samaria, who taught about the Holy Spirit, and laying hands on the new Samaritan believers, who “were receiving the Holy Spirit.” (Verse 17)

The power and the presence of the Holy Spirit are essential for the life of faith. Now almost 2000 years later, it is possible to follow Christ, belong to a church, and yet experience little or no power of the Holy Spirit. There are those, like Simon, who seek to impart the Holy Spirit for personal gain, and who misconstrue God’s purposes concerning the Holy Spirit. My goal is to walk in the power of God’s Holy Spirit, to rely fully upon Him and not myself, and to teach and preach the full gospel of Jesus Christ.

Anoint me today, most Holy Lord with the power and presence of your Holy Spirit. I am your servant. Like Stephen, I want to say and do what you instruct, even if it gets me in trouble with some. Guard me from being simply a people-pleaser, but rather my desire is to please You alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment