Friday, February 24, 2012

February 24, 2012

I had a very good night’s sleep after another day of fighting a cold. I fought it hard. I will keep fighting it hard! Today I will go in to the office a little later, and I have afternoon and evening commitments.

Acts 13

The church at Antioch had prophets and teachers. The Holy Spirit spoke to them while they were ministering and fasting to “set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Thus begins what we call “Paul’s first missionary journey.” Interestingly Barnabas is named first, and Paul is called Saul. There is a note in verse 5 that John (also known as John Mark) was along as a helper. They traveled to Patmos, and then up into modern day Turkey. They had significant ministry in Pisidian Antioch first at the synagogue, and then among the Gentiles. Verses 16-41 record Paul’s sermon, and it is a great summary of the message of Christ in the context of the work of God from the beginning.

I read this chapter in light of my conversation yesterday with Keith Jaspers, founder of Rainbow network. He was involved with the founders of Habitat for Humanity, and God gave him a vision of a comprehensive approach starting with community organizing and including education, health care, housing, and economic development. As I preach a series entitled “Change the World” I am impressed with the way the vision of Keith Jaspers is changing the world for 35,000 people.

Guide me today, most holy, sovereign Lord as I serve you with the gifts, experiences and opportunities you have given to me. May my energy be invested in ways that change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment