Saturday, February 25, 2012

February 25, 2012

Acts 14

This chapter records the remainder of Paul’s first missionary journey. The preaching of the good news of Jesus is accompanied with signs and wonders, opposition, and the fruit of new disciples, some of whom become elders in the new churches. Paul and Barnabas returned to Antioch “from which they had been commended to the grace of God for the work that they had accomplished. And when they had arrived and gathered the church together, they began to report all things that God had done with them and how He had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. And they spent a long time with the disciples.” (Verses 26-28)

Yesterday I began to read two books – one assigned for the Bishop’s peer mentor group that meets next Tuesday Next Generation Leader by Andy Stanley, and one that Audrey found while going through things in the basement, A Life that Really Matters, which is the story of the 40-day John Wesley “Great Experiment”. Both of these books are challenging and they encourage me to press forward in faith. It is a great privilege to be a pastor and to work today with leaders from the Stockton UM church around their vision and goals. Tomorrow I have the calling to preach the good news in the four worship services at Wesley, with the theme being “Welcome”, as week two of the “Change the World” series.

I am up with good energy after a restful night’s sleep. At 7:00 am I drive to Stockton and lead a visioning, goal-setting session. I will miss the United Methodist Men’s meeting at Wesley. The cold I have been fighting tooth and nail seems to have abated somewhat. My previous experience is that these things come back with another round after a couple of days. I have been drinking lots of fluids, getting good rest, and pushing myself relentlessly to work through the days. This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!


Guide me today, most holy Lord as I serve you with joy, equipping others to lead with confidence in the power of your Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment