Sunday, February 19, 2012

February 19, 2012

Jesus came to bring good news to the poor The best news anyone can receive is that they are forgiven
to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, (results from news of forgiveness with new eyes to see the world!)
to let the oppressed go free, There is freedom from the weight of guilt and condemnation
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor. God’s grace is the favor he has for us!

Luke 4:14-21 is the text of my sermon this morning. I am not sure when the last time was that I preached on this section. I do so today as the first part of our “Change the World” spring series. I look forward to preaching on this passage, and to living it out in my life and the life of Wesley UM church.

This is the mission of Jesus, and somewhere the church has deviated from this mission. Many of us pastors are working hard to keep the focus of the church on “making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world” (the mission of the church as stated in the 2008 Book of Discipline). To thoroughly grasp the mission of Jesus is critical to being one of his disciples.

Guide me today most Holy Lord as I teach from your gospel and encourage those congregating at Wesley to follow you in bringing good news to the poor, proclaiming release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free and to proclaim the year of your favor! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment