Monday, February 6, 2012

February 6, 2012

Once a decade I plan to complete a marathon. I have met this goal for the fourth decade. Yesterday I completed the Surf City marathon in 4 hours, 49 minutes. It was a beautiful setting, well organized, and I was prepared. My body is sore, and my spirit is healthy. In 1981 I ran my first marathon as a seminary student and determined I would run one a decade into my 70’s. It is very interesting to mark the passing of the decades with the preparation and completion of an undertaking of this magnitude. I both dread it and welcome it. Being a runner is part of what defines who I am. Accomplishing this large goal gives me confidence in other parts of my life.

Matthew 27

The trial, torture and execution of Jesus. It is hard for me to read this, as the pain is so severe, and the injustice so clear. There was pain all around, for his mother Mary, for his disciples, the suicide of Judas, and the wife of Pilate who had a nightmare and implored her husband to release Jesus. There is so much pain in the world today. This morning on the news I learned of the suicide death of Josh Powell in which he also murdered his two young sons by setting his own house on fire. This is pure evil, existing in this broken world.

This difficult chapter of Matthew is profitable for me and every believer to read. It is typically read during Good Friday as we remember and commemorate the crucifixion. I live in the shadow of the cross, of love freely given, of nothing held back. If God has given his son, will he not with him give us all things? What a gift, what a sacrifice, what a transforming act of love.

Guide me today, Lord, as I live a life of love and servanthood. Guard me from ever forgetting about your sacrificial death at the hands of Roman soldiers, betrayed by self-centered religious authorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment