Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 22, Ash Wednesday, 2012

The sun is rising on a beautiful first day of Lent in the Ozarks. Tonight we will share in a 6:00 pm worship service with the imposition of ashes at Wesley. This morning our youth and college aged students are gathering to receive ashes from their respective ministry leaders. For this Lenten season of preparation for Easter I will deny myself all forms of candy and all soda (pop according to those who are from Chicago!) I will be adding in a discipline to be used for spiritual fruitfulness and focus.

As I was pouring a second cup of coffee, I heard these words in my mind: “preach the word, be instant in season and out, reproof, rebuke exhort with all authority.” I think this was the spirit reminding me of Paul’s words to Timothy, and encouraging me to remain constant, daily doing the work of a pastor.

Acts 11

Peter is criticized by “those who were circumcised” for eating with gentiles (as recorded in Acts 10). He explains to them how he was led in a vision, and how the Holy Spirit was poured out on those gathered with Cornelius, in the same way that the believers experienced it on Pentecost. This satisfied the critics.

In verses 19-30 there is the description of the spreading of the gospel to Phoenicia, Cyprus and Antioch. It was at Antioch that the disciples were first called “Christians”. Barnabas ministered in Antioch, rejoicing and encouraging the believers to remain true to the Lord with resolute hearts. He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith (Verse 24). I would be pleased if this were part of my epitaph – Bruce Baxter was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith.

Guide me today in Springfield, most holy Lord as I serve you with joy. Empower me to encourage the staff and all believers to remain true to You with resolute hearts. Guide and bless all who come to the Ash Wednesday service today.

No comments:

Post a Comment