Thursday, July 12, 2012

July 12, 2012

“Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He will do it.” (Psalm 37, Verses 3-5) These beautiful verses speak to my heart this morning. I am preparing to replace the roof on a small cabin built by my father (with limited help from me) in 1974. In August of 1974 I experienced justifying grace, and my walk with Christ is the same age as this cabin. Though the cabin has been neglected, my walk with Christ has been kept fresh each day. New shingles for the cabin in about 1994 would have been helpful, but we did not do so. David and I have 2 ½ days to pull off the old rotting plywood and install the new 3/8” plywood, tar paper and brown shingles that I purchased at Lowe’s yesterday, and are loaded on my trailer.

This cabin has many memories for me, especially what I called the “Kentucky Bible Conference” of about 1977. My friend Greg and I planned to spend three days, including New Years day at this cabin, but his parents pulled the plug on his participation. I went alone, and had a great time of solitude and study, examining thoroughly 2 Peter 1:5-11. This morning’s passage from Psalm 37 reminds me that I have trusted in the Lord, I have been doing good, dwelling in the land (where I have been appointed) and I have been cultivating faithfulness. I do delight myself in the Lord, and have committed my way to Him.

Yesterday I was picking blackberries and marveling at their plump, abundant fruitfulness. I planted them 2+ years ago from 4 stalks Rochelle gave me from her patch. I have watered, mulched, battled Japanese beetles, pruned, and carefully wrapped the growing plants on the wires stretched between the poles I installed. Now they are bearing fruit, lots of it. It is work to pick them in the heat of July. I had the image of my life being like these plants, and this is the season of fruitfulness after 30 years of preparation for pastoring in this generation.

Guide me today Lord as I venture to Kentucky and extend the useful life of this cabin, sharing with my son in this light construction project. Today I will delight in you, trust You and commit my way to You as I have for 38 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment