Monday, July 23, 2012

July 23, 2012

I am up earlier today than recently. I pushed the button on the coffee maker, and have my first cup. We will pack up and say goodbye this morning, I will run 4 miles at first light. (This will be the 4th day in a row!) My Saturday 5 mile run was really hard, leaving me wondering if my body has a message, or if it simply is the heat and humidity taking its toll.

Colossians 3 (Suggested by today’s Upper Room)

“Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set you mind on the things above, not on the things that are on the earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” (Verses 1-3) Last night before bed I was reading Luther’s famous Preface to Romans, and I marked this sentence: “Thus ‘the flesh’ is a man who lives and works, inwardly and outwardly, in the service of the flesh’s profit and of this temporal life; ‘the spirit’ is the man who lives and works, inwardly and outwardly, in the service of the Spirit and the future life.” One of the critical steps of discipleship is for the follower of Jesus to set one’s mind, to set one’s affections on spiritual things, on eternal aspects, even as daily life is lived on earth.

So I am drinking coffee which I enjoy. It is earthly, temporal, physical. However, my mind is set on following Jesus today; living this day to please God, conscious that my every breath is a gift from Him, and my steps on this planet can lead me closer to holiness or lead me away from God into a life of pleasing “the flesh” and sinning against my Creator. I recognize the battleground of the mind. Jesus clearly stated that sin originates within, in one’s thought life, and then is conceived in one’s actions. These verses in Paul’s letter to the Colossians remind me this morning to “keep seeking the things above” and then promise me that “When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.”

I will be writing during these next four days. Last night as I drifted off (or this morning as I was waking up) I had a broad stroke image of organizing the spring 2013 series “Spring Training” (Basic discipleship with coaches Wesley, Luther and Bonhoeffer). I will also be working on my upcoming sermon series “Masterpiece” springing from the Eph 2 verse “you are His workmanship (Poema)” and involving three of the classic oil masterpieces – The Last Supper, Creation from the ceiling of the Sistine chapel, and The Return of the Prodigal.

Guide my steps today, Lord, may they be ordered by You. Through Your Spirit let me set my mind on the things above, and not on things of this earth (boats, motorcycles, airplanes etc). This is the day which You have made; I will rejoice and be glad in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment