Monday, July 2, 2012

July 2, 2012

This is one of those wonderful mornings in which I wake up at 4 am ready to launch into the day. I am so glad I did not plan to leave today on the trip to Colorado! There is much to do, and I will make a list elsewhere. After scripture I plan to fire up the Concours just to experience the early morning on the bike, and to see how my new running lights light up the road.

Proverbs 4 (Upper Room for today)

“Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.” (Verse 6) This chapter is essentially an exhortation to seek wisdom and understanding. “Exalt her, and she shall promote thee; she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her. She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace; a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee. Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.” (Verses 8-10) I am reading from my Thompson KJV Bible given to me by my parents on Christmas, 1975. Inscribed in the front in my mother’s hand: “May this bible assist you in the continuing search for truth, and may the grace and love of the Lord be with you forever. With our love to you, Dad and Mom”

As I read this chapter I am reminded of my yearning for wisdom and understanding from the summer of 1974 onward. During my 4 years of college, my 2 years of being a YUPPY (young urban professional – CPA) my 3 years of seminary, and now my almost 30 years of being a pastor – I have sought to know and embody God’s wisdom. In her separate journey, and now in our 30 year journey together, Audrey has sought God’s wisdom in all her life. Together we desire to live and follow God, and we continue to experience what is promised – our steps are straightened, and we have not stumbled (verse 12).

Living a life of faith is a daily exercise of obedience, discernment, judgment and faith. Today is no different from July 2, 1975, except that I am further along in the journey, and have the perspective of 56 years. Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I “get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not.” I commit this day to You and the advancement of your kingdom!”

No comments:

Post a Comment