Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 17, 2012

30 years ago today I went for a walk in Cincinnati Ohio with Audrey Holmgren and asked her to marry me. She said yes! It is a joy to remember the thoughts, feelings, and emotions of that day, and to reflect on all the good that has come to us during these 30 years.

Psalm 51

The context of this Psalm written by David was when Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. It is “A contrite sinner’s prayer for pardon.” As I read it this morning, it is easy for my mind to travel to the people I know who should be praying this prayer. I recognize this drift is unhealthy, but common, and I correct the course of my thinking by refocusing on applying this scripture to Bruce Baxter. This morning verse 15 speaks to me: “O Lord, open my lips, that my mouth may declare Thy praise.” This sentence is used in the Walk to Emmaus liturgy, as it has also been used in worship down through the ages. Today, July 17 I will open my lips and declare praise of God, my creator, redeemer, and sustainer. The God who has numbered my days has given me the gift of today, and the celebration of 30 years from the day I became betrothed to His servant Audrey.

Verse 17 reminds me that “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.” It is so easy for humans to harden our hearts, to crust over, to puff up. Today I must cultivate a contrite heart, developing along the way what this means for me, today.

I am your servant, most Holy Lord. I yield this day to your praise and glory, and I give you thanks for all the ways you have led my steps, anticipating your goodness in the steps yet ahead. My heart is yours, most Holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment