Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3, 2012

This morning I will climb on the Kawasaki for a five-day motorcycle ride into the mountains of Colorado! I am looking forward to the adventure and the experiences of being on the road. Last year I traveled for 4 days on a similar ride. I felt the pressure all along the way of needing to be back by Wednesday at 6:30 to teach a Bible study at Wesley. This trip has no commitments on the backside, which leaves me very flexible. I will be riding with John, who will be on his Harley. We have never ridden together, even around town, but we have travelled to and from Honduras for a week. We will be a good team.

I Sam 16 (from the Upper Room Devotional)

In this chapter Samuel anoints young David to be the future king of Israel. God tells Samuel to go to Jesse of Bethlehem. “I have chosen one of his sons to be king.” (Verse 1) Upon seeing the first son Eliab Samuel thought he had identified the one. “But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘do not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (Verse 7) This truth resounds through the ages, to pay attention to the things of God, and to be careful not to be caught up in appearances and popular views. I will meditate on this as I ride today.

“So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came upon David in power.” (Verse 13) The rest of the chapter describes David being enlisted by Saul as an armor-bearer, and also as a musician to play when the troubling spirit disturbs Saul. I am reminded of the critical importance of the anointing by God for service.

Guide me today, and on this trip, most Holy God. Help me to see as you see, and to be anointed by your Spirit as I travel. Guide Bethany today as she travels by herself from Los Angeles to New York, and then on to France. We are yours; use us according to your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment