Thursday, October 11, 2012

October 11, 2012

I will pray with another pastor later this morning at 7:30, partnering to live prayer filled lives as husbands, fathers, shepherds, and evangelists. The weather turns cloudy with patches of fog and rain today. I have a delightful lunch appointment and the rest of the day unscheduled, which will allow for writing, planning, and pastoral phone calls. I love being a pastor, and at times it is overwhelming. I completely trust in God’s grace and mercy, which supports me and equips me to pastor this large flock called Wesley UMC. Luke 14 (from today’s Upper Room) I come to God’s Word this morning with an expectancy, an openness, and a readiness to hear what the Holy Spirit will say to me. Jesus was invited to the house of one of the leaders of the Pharisees on the Sabbath to eat bread. In this context he taught eternal truths. First, it is okay to heal on the Sabbath, or to rescue your son from a well. Second, he taught that when you are invited to a banquet, it is better to take the lowest seat, and then be invited to a better seat by the host, than to take the best seat, and then have the host remove you because he has someone else designated to sit in that seat. “For everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.” (Verse 11) Third, when you invite guests to a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled the lame and the blind, instead of your friends, family or rich neighbors. He states that you will be blessed and “repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” (Verse 14) Fourth, through a parable he taught that many people make excuses for not showing up (being present) when invited to a big dinner. The master desires his house filled, so commands his servant to compel the poor, crippled, blind and lame to come to his banquet, noting that none of those invited shall taste of the dinner. Sunday I am preaching about the importance of being present, of showing up. I was imagining this parable yesterday afternoon, with plans to look it up today. Here it is in my devotional reading! Fifth, while going along the way Jesus taught about the cost of discipleship, comparing it to building a tower or preparing to go to war. He concludes: “So therefore, no one of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.” Today I will work on writing the Spring 2013 material, which will include Bonhoeffer’s work The Cost of Discipleship. I thank you for your Word to me today. Lord, it is so timely, so relevant, and speaks so clearly to my heart, my head, and my soul. Use me as your servant today, obedient to all your teachings, filled with grace and wisdom as your servant leader. Guard me from anything that would distract me from following you and being fruitful. Next, I will read on prayer from John Ed Mathison's Treasures of the Transformed Life. Audrey and I are reading daily selections on the same day, as John Ed suggested when he was with us last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment