Saturday, October 6, 2012

October 6, 2012

We have postponed the Garage Sale until next Saturday. I feel I like have the gift of a morning, that I was planning to spend helping in the garage sale. Last night the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Atlanta Braves in a one-game Wildcard playoff game, 6-3, helped by a Infield Fly rule called by the outfield umpire in which the St. Louis shortstop failed to catch the pop fly, and the Atlanta manager played the rest of the game under protest. Last night Audrey and I watched the 2011 movie Jane Eyre, and images from that movie flashed through my mind during the night. This morning the paper reports that the woman’s body found floating in Truman Lake was that of the 15 year-old girl from Willard, Khighla Parks, described as a run away. There is a similarity between the movie and this real life tragedy. Pondering this news my mind wonders to the question of how could someone have saved this girl? What type of relational outreach could have helped her through the difficult mid-teen years? What kind of abuse and neglect did she suffer at home? I have been reading Wikipedia about Lord Bryon, as I was reading about Jane Eyre and its author Charlotte Bronte. She and her siblings developed “Byronic” heroes for fun, and when she wrote Jane Eyre under the pen name Currer Bell she subtitled it “An Autobiography.” “The Byronic hero presents an idealized, but flawed character whose attributes include: great talent; great passion; a distaste for society and social institutions; a lack of respect for rank and privilege (although possessing both); being thwarted in love by social constraint or death; rebellion; exile; an unsavory secret past; arrogance; overconfidence or lack of foresight; and, ultimately, a self-destructive manner.” (From Wikipedia) Lord Byron wrote Don Juan and based largely upon his own experiences. So, now it is 7:15, we have not been inundated with disappointed garage sale shoppers, and I feel that the morning has really now begun well. I will turn to scripture and prayer. I will read the first day of Treasures of the Transformed Heart devotionally. Proverbs 6 (because today is the 6th) This Proverb continues the advice to the young men of Solomon’s court. Such practical wisdom - don’t be liable for other people’s debts, and be diligent in your work, like the ant, not sleeping all the time like a sluggard who will become impoverished. Verses 16- 19 list 7 things that the Lord hates – these should be noted well – a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, a false witness, and the one who sows discord among brethren. Verses 20-23 emphasize keeping the commandments, binding them upon one’s heart. Verses 24-35 basically say – do not be like Lord Bryon! These verses warn of the dangers of adultery, of the destruction that comes to a man who is sexually involved with a woman who is not his wife. Every man should regularly read these verses. Guide me today, most holy Lord as I live to serve you in all that I say and do. Guard me from anything that would distract me from your will and purposes. May your Word and you commandments be always in my mind, on my lips, guarding my heart. Use me to lift others and to encourage all who need it. This is the day which you have made; I will rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment