Friday, October 12, 2012

October 12, 2012

John 14 was my devotional text, suggested by today’s Upper Room. It is the beginning of the second half of the gospel of John. Chapters 1-13 could be labeled “The eternal word incarnated coming to bring God into man.” Chapters 14-21 could be labeled “Jesus crucified and Christ resurrected…” (I find the outline prepared by Witness Lee as published in the Recovery Version to be quite helpful!) John 14 is very familiar to me, as I read it often in the context of leading a funeral. It is good for me to read it devotionally, and to listen for God’s word to Bruce Baxter. This morning I received comfort from the promises the Jesus goes to prepare a place for me. I also noted His boldness in stating that the Father was in Him, and He in the Father. He stated that we who follow after Him will do even greater works than He did. I paused at this sentence and considered the greater works I might be doing, and realized that I can certainly grow in this area. As I was waiting for this laptop to fire up, I picked up Charles Jefferson’s The Minister as Shepherd and continued where I had left off, reading about the shepherd as physician. I think the Holy Spirit is leading me to pay more attention to this aspect of ministry. Yesterday afternoon I called and spoke with Norm and Ruth D., who live in the Wright City area. I was waiting on a watch battery, and we had a great 15 minute conversation. I have been intending to call them for over a year. Norm is 84 and they have been married 61 years. It was great to hear their voices and to reconnect, albeit ever so briefly. Norm made the motion at the 1976 Charge Conference of Green Trails United Methodist church to approve me as a candidate for ordained ministry. Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I follow in your footsteps, with an openness to doing even greater things than you did during your earthly sojourn. May my life be fruitful today.

No comments:

Post a Comment