Friday, October 19, 2012

October 19, 2012

The high today is predicted to go only to 56 degrees. It will be windy, but not as strong as yesterday. My meetings went well yesterday and I was able to complete many items on my to-do list. I have today and tomorrow to make progress on writing and other preparations. Last night I wrote Riad a Facebook message, and also commented on a photo on Jed Smock’s page. He wrote me back that it was indeed taken in Wilmore, where he spoke at Asbury University. His report will be posted today.

This morning I will read scripture and also a sermon by John Wesley, #116 about why Christianity has been ineffective. I discovered this sermon in a document recommended by the Commission on Higher Education.

Isaiah 26 Verse 3 – I have memorized this in the King James Version: “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.” I have experienced this to be true – I have lived in this peace which results from a mind fixed on God, a heart that trusts in God alone for salvation. This chapter from Isaiah is rich with imagery and promises. Reading it this morning I feel renewed and recharged as a member of your people, those who seek your face and obey your word, investing our lives in your kingdom’s advance on earth.

Wesley “Causes of the Inefficacy of Christianity” sermon 116

Is there no balm in Gilead; is there no physician there? Why then is not the health of the daughter of my people recovered.” Jer 8:22 Wesley relates this question to his generation and asks “Why has Christianity done so little good in the world?” This is a great sermon, and I will continue to benefit from reading it this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment