Sunday, October 7, 2012

October 7, 2012

Prayer is like a pilot light – it is hidden, constant and fires up the heater! Here in Springfield we have just had our first frost of the season. This morning I am beginning a series entitled “Thirsting for More” with today’s topic being prayer. I will examine the teaching of Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount, and suggest a very practical way to remember some categories. I am thirsting for more of God, today and every day. I want to know Him better, to serve Him more fully, and to be increasingly fruitful. Gordon MacDonald has written a great article reflecting upon the serenity prayer, used with powerful results in the Alcoholics Anonymous circles. It is attributed to Reinhold Niebuhr, but some think it originated before him. This is the prayer: “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” MacDonald says the first part is surrender, the second is courage, and the third is wisdom. I have never found this brief prayer of much help. I have read it, and understood its value, but I don’t know that I have ever prayed it. I respect Gordon MacDonald, so I might try praying this brief prayer. Matthew 6 “Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don’t make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won’t be applauding. When you do something for someone else, don’t call attention to yourself.” (Verses 1-2, The Message) This whole chapter is practical advice on living the God-pleasing life. Jesus observes that it is always a temptation to live the “people-pleasing” life instead. In the Jewish world into which he was born, the three most important ways to please God were giving alms, praying, and fasting. For each one he cautions the believer to not make a show of it. As I post this blog I am wondering if I am making too public my thoughts and actions. Hmmm. I will ponder this. My goal has been to be transparent, and to give a window into my daily activities and my thoughts. I see how this could easily convert to pleasing people and making a show out of what I do. I have enjoyed reading the spiritual journals of pastors and leaders, so I have for a couple of years been posting most of the content of my journal. Lord, my desire is to please you. You have appointed me to serve among people as a pastor, and I am thankful for this vocation. Guard me from taking my eyes off of You, empower me to be the most fruitful pastor I can be in this brief life, praying in secret, serving with obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment