Tuesday, November 13, 2012

November 13, 2012

I have a great day ahead, of pastoral work with leadership development and the hosting of our life group tonight. I look forward to getting to my office, organizing my desk and diving in to preparation, plans, praying, and pastoring. Yesterday Audrey and I went out for an early breakfast, worked around the house, then caught a late afternoon movie. We split a salad from Panera and invested the rest of the evening in study and correspondence.

Luke 12:32-34

“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.” This is great news of monumental proportions! God who has created everything, who owns everything, has chosen gladly, not begrudgingly to give us the kingdom. The devotional theme this week is “Claim Your Inheritance.” This verse reminds me of the spiritual inheritance that God has prepared for those who become a part of his flock. Even as I prepare to part with the LHS, which I inherited from my parents, along with their house and their estate, I am mindful of the inheritance my heavenly Father is providing. I must always remember that I am an heir of The King.

“Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves purses which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near, nor moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Verses 33-34)

The book of Proverbs, written originally for the sons of the nobles of Israel mentions inheritance several times, including the observation that an inheritance quickly gained is quickly spent. There are prudent ways to handle any earthly inheritance one receives, and these verses remind me that the healthiest focus of my daily life is to please God, and to store up treasure in heaven. I do this by giving my life and resources away. Living with wisdom, cultivating a generous spirit, observant of opportunities to invest time and resources in others is my goal. I have coined the concept of “cumulative living” which is a principle I have lived by, and will write about. It is living that adds up in a world that does not.

Guide me today, most precious, holy Lord as I “make for myself a purse which does not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven.” May this day reveal Your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment