Sunday, November 4, 2012

November 4, 2012

We gained an hour last night, as the time changed from Central Daylight Savings Time to Central Standard Time. In 17 weeks we will “spring forward” and return to daylight savings time. During these 17 weeks darkness will fall around 5 pm, and the sun will rise around 7 am. I always love this particular morning, because of the extra hour added. This morning the Bass Pro Marathon will take place in Springfield, even as the New York Marathon has been cancelled today due to the storm Sandy which has decimated the east coast.

I feel especially good about this morning of worship. I am looking forward to delivering the message which includes a testimony from the Smiths, a family that adopted an infant daughter. We will celebrate the names of members who have died in the past 12 months, and we will share in communion.

Psalm 146 (from lectionary in A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God)

“I will praise the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God all my life long.” (Verse 2)
I meditate upon this verse and picture the rest of my life, whether I live to be 70, 80, 90, or if this is my last year. It is healthy to realize that I will not always be a steward of this earthly body entrusted with daily opportunities. I affirm the statement of the Psalmist, that I, Bruce Baxter will praise the Lord as long as I live!

“The Lord loves the righteous.” (Verse 8) This affirmation blessed me this morning, as I daily seek to live in God’s imputed and imparted righteousness. I have for 34 years, and will until the end of my days. I received a warmth and an encouragement to remember that the Lord sees and knows my life and my heart.

Guide me today Lord as I serve as a pastoral guide to others. Help me to bless many, and to appropriately celebrate the lives of those who are departed, and to teach all of us how to witness to others about Your blessed presence in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment