Saturday, November 24, 2012

November 24, 2012

Tomorrow I begin a new series entitled “Unwrapping Christmas”. It begins with the scripture from Revelation 1:4-8 and the question “Who is really the king?” I look forward to developing this series and the regular weekly teaching about the real meaning of Christmas – the celebration of the birth of a king.

“Behold days are coming declares the Lord when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel…. I will put My law within them, and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.” (Jer 31:31-34) Yes Lord, those days are here, beginning with the birth of Christ and continuing through this present day, your law is written on the hearts of those who follow Christ, who are born again not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. We live under this new covenant and enjoy its benefits.

The theme developed by Job and Shawchuck for this week in their devotional A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God is “A New Beginning”. The scriptures are from the common lectionary for this week leading up to “Christ the King” Sunday, and their devotional writings are arranged around this theme.

A real cold front came through yesterday afternoon, dropping temperatures to the low twenties last night. I welcome the purging that comes with a solid freeze, the killing of weeds and insects. They will both emerge in the spring, but until then the frost has taken them. I like the crispness of a clear cold morning like today. It feels fresh and energizing. I have the privilege of officiating at a wedding this afternoon at the Elphindale chapel. Rochelle will be the musician.

My God and my King, I serve today at your command. Guide my steps, direct my thoughts, inspire my words, lead my heart ever closer to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment