Friday, November 9, 2012

November 9, 2012

Today is a beautiful day and a gift. I am aware of much pain and suffering in the world, and the possibility of healing and wholeness. Audrey and I are in the family room with the gas fire burning as we read and study scripture.

Matthew 14:22-33

Jesus sends the disciples across the lake in a boat while he dismisses the crowds, then gets alone to pray. During the fourth watch of the night, he comes to them walking on the water. Peter steps out of the boat and walks on the water until he sees the wind and becomes afraid, calling out to Jesus “Lord save me!” Jesus stretched out his hand and said “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

This famous incident in scripture gives me much upon which to chew. I can picture the scene, and feel what the disciples felt. It is hard for me to imagine the how of Jesus and Peter walking on the water. I believe it happened, and was a miracle without explanation. I believe that miracles still happen. It is so important for me to listen for Jesus’ beckoning voice, and in obeying it to focus upon him and have no fear of the elements. This could be applied to pastoring, to marriage, to missions, to discipleship, and to every experience in life.

Being with Jesus, doing what he says, exercising faith and overcoming the doubts that naturally arise – this is the life that pleases God, which is my goal. Today, most holy Lord, may my life be lived in your presence, fully obedient and attentive to your word and will. Here in Springfield on a Friday in November, may faith bear fruit in my life and service to your kingdom.

I had a phone message yesterday from a family in another part of the state. I performed the wedding of husband and wife, and now with four children they are experiencing issues. My heart hurts for them and I desire to bring a word of hope and healing when we are able to talk today.

1 comment:

  1. Just saying hi to let you know someone read your morning blog.

    ReplyDelete