Wednesday, November 28, 2012

November 28, 2012

Today we will host the funeral of Gene Myers who died last Tuesday morning. Gene was a faithful member of Wesley and president of the Friendship Sunday School class.

Romans 14: (especially 10-12)

The theme of this chapter revolves around not condemning others for doing what you deem to be not appropriate. As Paul writes this, he is referring to Christians who have decided not to eat meat, or not to drink wine, or not to celebrate certain holy days for spiritual reasons. He ends the chapter by saying “The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.” (Verses 22-23) In the margin of my Bible I noted “at age 50 I committed to no beverage alcohol for this reason.”

To summarize the teaching of this chapter I would conclude that Paul is encouraging believers to develop strong convictions about how they practice the faith, and at the same time to be careful not to judge the carefully discerned practices of others who are seeking to faithfully live out their lives before God. The Amish decided not to use automobiles or electricity. In verse 14 Paul says “I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.” So, whatever a person has given up or taken on in devotion to Jesus Christ, that person should be fully convinced of the practice, and not judge those who have through faith adopted a different practice. In his essay on The Character of a Methodist, John Wesley concludes by writing “Is thy heart right, as my heart is with thine? I ask no farther question. If it be, give me thy hand. For opinions, or terms, let us not destroy the work of God.”

It is important for every believer to be careful in daily living and in spiritual disciplines. As the pastoral leader of a large faith community I am careful to attend to the personal spiritual practices which I have discerned, and I am very conscious of the different ways believers practice faithful living. Guide me today most Holy Lord as I live unto you, for whether I live or die I am yours. May my life shine as a beacon in a dark world.

Near Republic there is a house on fire in which a family of 6 escaped around 3 am this morning. The same family had a fire in the same house 5 years ago. The local news affiliate had graphic film of the house ablaze with firefighters from surrounding departments fighting it. I imagine what it is like for those men and women on this very cold morning to get the alarm at 3 am and arrive on the scene. There is also a fire in north Springfield this morning. I am praying for all who involved in these emergencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment