Wednesday, November 14, 2012

November 14, 2012

Last night Audrey and I hosted our 6th and final life group in the fall series. We have had a great group of 13 people who have met here at our house and at the home of the Bigelows. It is a combination of new members of Wesley, long-term members and persons considering joining Wesley. Last night I introduced Bishop Schnase’s work on the 5 Practices and related this to the 5 commitments of church membership – prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness. At Wesley we pursue developing more fruitful disciples who worship, care and serve. I regularly need to keep this mission before all of us.

Acts 20: especially verses 31-38 on the theme of “claiming our inheritance.”

This chapter is a travel memoir, as Paul raps up his third missionary journey. Rather than stop in Ephesus, he summons the elders to Miletus where he addresses them with encouragement and exhortation. Acts 20:17-38 contains his words to them, which are golden to all pastors and church leaders. In verse 32 he says “And now I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.” I receive this commendation, and this morning I am built up and reminded of the inheritance to which I am heir along with all those who are sanctified.

My work today is among leaders. I will drive to Columbia to host a two-hour training session for superintendents and leaders of district committees on ordained ministry. Along with three others from the annual conference board of ordained ministry we will review the processes and procedures that the district committees undertake to shepherd those who are experiencing a call to pastoral leadership in the church. I relish this opportunity, and I recognize the weight of this responsibility. Now that I have been serving as a pastor for 30 years, with a healthy balance of involvement in academia, evangelism, church planting, missions and now the board of ordained ministry I have a confidence that God has been preparing me for this role, and I will live into it with faith and diligence.

I need to be writing. I am being pressed most appropriately with deadlines for our Spring 2013 material. I commend our pastoral staff for doing so, and I need to carve out time and prioritize this work, which I long to do, and which I am called to do.

I just wrote three paragraphs for the introduction. I am on my way in this resource. I will write early in the morning, and late into the night. Thank you Lord for this motivation and the gentle pressure of deadlines. Guide my work today as I lead in improving the process of the culture of call within our United Methodist connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment