Friday, November 30, 2012

November 30, 2012

It is the last day of November, Audrey’s favorite month. How did it evaporate so fast? What will December hold? Are all the months passing more rapidly as I age? I will seek to invest this last day of November in the healthiest way possible. My schedule has had a steady dose of meetings this week, all of them good and fruitful sessions of planning, preparation and supervision. Today my schedule will allow me to write Sunday’s message, catch up on the work stacked up on my desk, and make a couple of hospital visits. I do so enjoy the work of being a pastor, and it is a heavy responsibility. Tomorrow the men have their December meeting and the women have their Christmas party, as the Upward basketball season kicks off its first games tonight and tomorrow. Tomorrow evening we will attend the clergy district Christmas party at the Republic UMC.

John 12

Jesus explains to his disciples that “unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone. But if it dies, it bears much fruit. He who loves his life loses it; and he who hates his life in this world shall keep it to life eternal.” (Verses 24-25) As the month of November comes to a close, and the holiday month of December dawns tomorrow, I am very aware that if I love with possessiveness this life, I will lose it, and if I give away my life in this world I will keep it to life eternal. This is a great mystery, and a profound truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment