Thursday, November 8, 2012

November 8, 2012


Mark 11:20-25

Peter points out the fig tree that previously Jesus had found with only leaves, and had spoken to the tree: “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” (Verse 14) It is withered from the roots up, and Jesus says “Have faith in God. Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it shall be granted him. Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they shall be granted you.” (Verses 22-24)

The theme in the devotional guide by Job and Shawchuck for this week is “From doubt to belief.” This passage is a clear teaching of Jesus about the power of faith. In the last few decades there have been many pastors and teachers who have emphasized faith – from healing to prosperity, often this faith has had a self-centered aspect. I believe in the power of God and desire to walk by faith, and not by sight. This minor incident in the life of Jesus takes on major importance as an example of faith in God spoken directly to a created object.

Today I will be more conscious of the power of faith and the opportunities I have to speak against doubt, fear, brokenness, unfruitfulness, and sin. From a fig tree to a mountain, God acts on behalf of his people who pray. Guide me now most Holy Lord as I pray.

Yesterday I began a more serious search for my next car, as I visited a church member at the Honda dealer, then looked at their new and used Civics and Accords. I am pretty dispassionate about this search, simply recognizing the need for a more dependable car. There is what seems a great value in leasing a 2012 Civic. I like the looks of the Ford Fusion, and need to check it out. The Civic gets 39 mpgs on the highway. I must guard against being infatuated with a new car, and continue to search the used car market.

No comments:

Post a Comment