Tuesday, November 6, 2012

November 6, 2012

Election day! Every 4 years we cast our votes for the president of the United States. I will vote as early as I can this morning. We have staff prayers at 9:15, worship planning at 10:15, and a field trip for the facility study team this afternoon, visiting 2nd Baptist and the Wilson Creek campus of James River Assembly. Audrey made it home safely last night, enduring a 2 hour delay in Los Angeles. It was so good to see her.

John 10:22-30

“From doubt to belief” is the theme for this week of devotional readings in Job and Shawchuck’s A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God.” This passage is set at the temple where the Jews are asking Jesus to tell them plainly whether or not he is the Christ. He responds that he has told them, but they do not believe, because they are not of his sheep. “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow me.” (Verse 27) Yes Lord! I hear Your voice and follow You. You have appointed me to lead a portion of your flock, and I do so with faith and obedience.

Yesterday I experienced a sabbatical day of rest. It began with a motorcycle ride to Lake Tannycomo and a visit to the state trout hatchery. I hiked a trail and explored along the lake (the damned up White River). As it began to rain, I donned my rain suit and headed home, riding through moderate rain from low clouds. I rested in the afternoon, then in the evening went to the grocery store and seminary library on my way to pick Audrey up from the airport. At the seminary I read an interesting article in the current edition of the Methodist Historical Journal about the dispute after John Wesley’s death of who had the rights to publish his biography and access to his papers.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I serve you with joy. May my words, my thoughts, my actions honor your name and bring increase to your flock. Bless our country as we exercise the privilege of voting in the democratic process of electing our leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment