Monday, December 10, 2012

December 10, 2012

The theme chosen by Job and Shawchuck (A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God) for this week is “Nagging Questions.” In Luke 1:18-20 is found the question asked by Zacharias, a priest who was chosen by lot to enter the temple of the Lord and burn incense. While there, an angel of the Lord appeared to him, who told him that his petition had been heard, his wife Elizabeth would bear a son, and he would name him John. “Zacharias said to the angel, ‘how shall I know this for certain? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years.’” (Verse 18)

What are the nagging questions of my life? I would like to think that there is no doubt in my heart about what God has said to me, through His word, through His Spirit, and through visions and promptings. I am not aware of any angelic appearances or messages. But I must search my heart and be honest in pondering if there are any nagging questions, and then deal with them. They probably center around what is next, in my leadership at Wesley, in the Annual Conference, in my ministry, and in what I might write. I hold these questions loosely, with faith and with hopeful anticipation. Zacharias’ famous doubt, and ensuing loss of voice until the baby was born instructs me not to question angels when they tell me what is about to happen.

I am heading into the woods of Kentucky to be by myself for several days. I feel close to God when I am there, and it has somewhat of a hermitage feel. I am looking forward to that time alone. Speak to me, most holy one, that I may know your will and live according to your plan. Guard me from doubt, insolence, selfishness, complacency. Use me up in giving myself away for the building of the kingdom.

In preparation for my days in Kentucky this week, I will work hard at church today. I have several meetings, and much preparation to do for this season and for the Spring Training material. I will hook up the trailer and bring it home this afternoon, to have the Explorer and trailer ready to go tomorrow morning. I have been gathering my gear, and will shop for food tonight. Given the frigid temperature and the forecast, I plan to spend Wednesday night in the woods, with the possibility of the lodge on Thursday and Friday. My other option is to spend Wed and Thur in the woods, leaving Friday, with the option of spending Friday night on the road so I can visit Ron Kessler in Licking on Saturday. I am looking forward to several days in the woods and with time to prepare for Christmas and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment