Saturday, December 15, 2012

December 15, 2012


Newtown Connecticut, Sandy Hook Elementary was the scene yesterday of a mass murder – 22 children, 6 adults including the principal. “Evil visited this community today” said the governor. A 20 year old former student of the school shot and killed his mother at their home, then drove to the school and around 9:30 am entered and massacred 28 people. Apparently he took his own life. This is unimaginable and the work of darkness and evil. Jesus Christ came to give his life, bearing on the cross the full brunt of the horrors of humanity, the sins of the world, including the murder of children. The news reports of this story remind me of the power of God’s love in the face of unmitigated evil.
Today I will visit a high-security prison in Licking Missouri to visit a man convicted of a crime whose victims still suffer from his actions. I will offer the presence of Christ and the power of God’s word to this man. I will be in the environment set up by our society to confine those convicted of criminal acts. Tomorrow I will preach about the birth of Christ. I will tell the story of his parents holiday travels, of his birth, and the visit from the shepherds. I will encourage all present to come and see the Christ, and from his manger to his cross to receive the grace of God.

Psalm 72 I read this in light of the tragedy in Newtown.
“Endow the king with your justice, O God, the royal son with your righteousness. He will judge your people in righteousness, your afflicted ones with justice.” (Verse 1)

The crime committed yesterday by a lone gunman taking innocent lives and then his own is so senseless. How can the afflicted ones be comforted with justice? The only possible relief, the only actual justice will be unseen, eternal. The souls of those children live on. The soul of the shooter lives on. It could be that the greatest agony for parents who lost children will be if they did not take the opportunity to lead those children into the arms of Jesus. I once looked into the eyes of a child who was dying of cancer. She knew the love of Jesus, and the possibility of eternity. I had the privilege of baptizing her. Her parents now have two additional children.

Verse 4 – “He will defend the afflicted among the people and save the children of the needy; he will crush the oppressor.” This verse refers to the injustice of oppression, by governments, systems, bullies, etc which leave people needy and afflicted. This does not address the question of random horrific mass murder. But it does lead to the question of why? How could God allow this if “He will defend the afflicted among the people”? I do not have an answer to the “why” question. I do think that it is related to God’s decision to give humans free will, and also to the real presence of evil on the earth.
“He will take pity on the weak and the needy and save the needy from death. He will rescue them from oppression and violence, for precious is their blood in his sight.” (Verses 13-14) Why did God not rescue these children at Sandy Hook Elementary, and save them from death? Why did God not save the child from cancer? I can live with the unanswered question of why. I have faith in the largeness of God, believing that He embraces my question of why, even though I likely will never know the answer. For all the parents and loved ones of children who die, the question of why is even so much stronger.
 
In the gospels Jesus says that not even a sparrow falls that God does not see. In this Psalm it is affirmed that the blood of those oppressed and victimized by violence is precious in His sight. O my Living Lord, guide me as I prepare tomorrow’s sermon about the birth of the Savior, and as I visit Licking prison today. May your presence sustain me as I walk hand in hand with You throughout this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment