Wednesday, December 12, 2012

December 12, 2012

Again this morning Job and Shawchuck (A Guide to Prayer) have me reading the first chapter of Luke, the account of Gabriel appearing to Zacharias. It is good for me to remember this again, under the topic of nagging questions. I especially appreciated the devotional writing of Brennan Manning included for this week. He says “The Christmas contemplative knows that hope is a gift, an undeserved gift of peace, but that it is also a call to decision-the decision to trust…”

As I am alone in Kentucky during these four days I am a “Christmas contemplative.” I had really good prayer time as I drove east on Hwy 60 for 4 hours yesterday afternoon. I benefit from silence. Ron Watts and I shared a delicious meal at an Italian restaurant in downtown Cape Girardeau as we caught up on family and discussed ministry in our two contexts. He described the children’s ministry facility that La Croix built, themed as a rain forest, which has one floor for little ones birth through 4 years old, and one floor for kids Kindergarten through 4th grade. The 5th and 6th grades are in a middle school area. They have large gathering areas for K and 1, 2 and 3, and 4th grade is by itself. The areas have stage and lights, and after 30 minutes of music, drama, and teaching, they break into small groups for discussion, application and prayer. He said that they will host 500 kids during their three weekend worship experiences – Sat evening, plus 2 on Sunday. He emphasized security, and need of parents to have trust in the systems.

We also discussed the issues facing our jurisdiction with the fiasco of Bledsoe and the two conferences without a bishop. Does the Jurisdiction Episcopal committee have the authority to appoint Bledsoe to New Mexico and Northwest Texas? Will the Jurisdictional Conference need to be reconvened? Will they decide to shuffle all the bishops? Interesting questions.

I have these four days for this retreat/planning session. This morning I will work on Sunday’s sermon and email. This afternoon I will spend time in the woods with my rifle and chain saw. Tonight I will work on 2013 material, and again tomorrow morning. I will also develop my outline for the Christmas Eve message, and begin to plan the Cliff Hanger series for post Christmas. Thank you Lord for this time away. Guide me thinking, planning, discerning. Speak to me afresh as I seek your presence. Anoint this Christmas contemplative with your spirit, as you have annointed those who have sought you down through the ages. Bless the work of Wesley as the daily ministries unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment