Wednesday, December 26, 2012

December 26, 2012

This morning I have a fresh and new sense of the season. I have put the trash out, the great Christmas wrapping trash, and feel that we have had a very good Christmas celebration. It was great to host David and Danelle and Bethany is still visiting for a few more days. I am not preaching on Sunday, and will use this week and the New Year’s Day holiday to work hard on Spring 2013. I will also spend time clearing files and getting organized, something I annually intend to do at year-end, but rarely accomplish. We usually travel or entertain company during these days after Christmas, leaving me away from desks at office and home.

It is 4:50 am, and I have been awake for awhile feeling pretty rested and ready for the day. I will work today - in the office this morning, worship planning at 2, wedding consultation at 5. The Collettes will come over for dinner tonight, a late Christmas dinner, or as they call today in England, Boxing Day. 
I Sam 3:15-21 (A Guide to Prayer – week’s theme “I am yours)
Following his experience of hearing God’s voice but not recognizing it until Eli instructed him to respond “Speak, Lord, for Thy servant is listening” Samuel lay down until morning. When questioned by Eli, Samuel was hesitant to reveal the vision God had given him yet due to Eli’s insistence, he told him. Upon hearing that his house would be severely judged “forever for the iniquity which he knew, because his sons brought a curse on themselves and he did not rebuke them” Eli responded “It is the Lord; let Him do what seems good to Him.” (Verse 18) This response is similar but very different from Mary’s response to Gabriel, as she said “behold the bondslave of the Lord; be it done to me according to your word.” (Luke 2:38)  Eli, aware of his misdoings, was acknowledging God’s sovereign power to judge; Mary, willing to yield and serve God in her future, was submitting to God’s will. As I preached on Christmas Eve, it is my prayer that I and all with whom I have influence will also say yes to God’s plan and His promises. 
Last night I began to read the biography of Einstein given to me by Bethany. It is interesting to begin thinking about physics and science as it applies to Einstein, and to have his biography on my nightstand. This is a new a fresh topic for me to consider, as I have been reading lately about World War I. This morning I will read a letter received recently from Ron Kessler. It is now 5:47 and all of a sudden my body is weary again. This sometimes is the result of arising early, but as I simply move forward through the day, my body adapts.
Guide me today, most Holy Lord, as I am your bond servant, ready to do your will. Guard me from distractions; use me to accomplish your purposes. Thank you for your word, and the gift of your Holy Spirit.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment