Friday, December 14, 2012

December 14, 2012

This is my last morning in Kentucky. I will work on the January Cliffhanger series this morning, then head to the woods for lunch and dinner, cutting and loading firewood and oak timbers on the trailer. I will drive 3 ½ hours to Van Buren where I will spend the night at The Landing on the current river. Tomorrow I will work on Sunday’s sermon and visit Ron in Licking.

Romans 8 - I love Romans 8!

Verses 1-17 speak to me this morning around the topic of sanctifying grace. I wrote last night in the spring training 2013 material about sanctifying grace, and I will go back and add the gist of these verses. I continue to live in the freedom described herein, free from condemnation and with my mind set on the things of the Spirit, and not living according to the sinful nature. As Christ lives in me, my body is dead because of sin, yet my spirit is alive because of righteousness. And he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to my mortal body through His spirit, who lives in me! (Romans 8:5-11)

I also know that nothing can separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus – neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present or the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation! In all these things I am a conqueror through Him who loves me. (Verse 37-38) This is reality! This chapter of Romans clearly states the sanctifying power of God active in the believer who trusts in Him. It has been and is my experience. I face the future with hope, even as my body ages, my skin wrinkles, my knees buckle, my teeth chip, and my vision weakens! God is on the throne, He makes all things new! I will serve Him until I take my last breath, and then I will be ushered into eternity and the joy of the Lord of heaven and earth, whose name I proclaim!

John Ed Mathison sent me his new book, When God Redefines the Possible with the inscription “Bruce, thanks for allowing God to use you to redefine the possible! John Ed. I will use its 52 sections for reading in my daily devotions beginning today. Lord, use these chapters to guide my mind and heart into more fully living and doing your will, even as you “redefine the possible” for Bruce Baxter. May this day be full of your Spirit guiding my thinking, planning, writing as this pastor plans for 2013 and beyond.


No comments:

Post a Comment