Sunday, December 2, 2012

December 2, 2012

Today is the first day of Advent, come Lord Jesus, come! A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God will be my devotional guide this morning, as I have been using it for the last few weeks, and today I have the privilege of turning to the very beginning and starting on page one. Thank you Lord for the beauty of this early morning. I am looking forward to this morning of worship, preaching and holy communion.

I Thessalonians 3 (especially verses 9-13)

Paul has sent Timothy to Thessalonica and has received a good report from him. He says that he prays night and day for the believers there, and he “pray(s) most earnestly that we may see you face to face and restore whatever is lacking in your faith.” This morning I will see the believers at Wesley face to face, and in my morning message restore whatever is lacking in their faith, especially as it concerns the second coming of Jesus to judge and rule the earth. It is an awesome responsibility to stand before a congregation and preach the word of God. Guide me today Lord as I speak your words to your people called Wesley.

Yesterday was a full day of celebrating. For me it began in the morning at the Men’s breakfast which included great fellowship around the tables as 24 men gathered for delicious breakfast, and then a brief business meeting, adopting by-laws suggested from Nashville. The UMW (women’s group) met at 10 for brunch, and I said hello around the edges and helped with some details before it got underway. Upward basketball was in full swing and I had several interactions, including a great conversation with the executive director of Victory Mission, Jim Harriger, whose grandchildren participate in Upward. Audrey and I ended the evening by attending the bi-district Clergy Christmas party at Hood UMC in Republic. It was nice, and accomplished the purposes of such a gathering. We sat with Jerry, Bev, Mi Hyeon and a couple whom I met for the first time, Clint and Kim. He pastors a church outside of Bolivar, and will be coming before the board for commissioning interviews in March.

Lord, I am preparing for your coming. Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King. Whether in the climax of this world’s events, or in the death of my earthly body, I am looking forward to seeing you and living in your presence in the new reality of heaven. Guide me in this present reality to recognize your presence, in the breaking of the bread, in the faces of your people at Wesley, in the hands outstretched for the elements. I am yours Lord, today and every day until the end of time, even unto eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment