Saturday, July 17, 2010

July 17, 2010

7-17-10 Saturday, 7:43 am Grayrock, 74 degrees, clear, humid.

28 years ago today, in Cincinnati, Audrey and I went for a walk and I proposed. She accepted. The Bible she gave me to commemorate this event is inscribed with the date.

Romans 4:1-12

Paul continues the logical development of faith. He states that Abraham, the founder of the Jewish nation, had faith previous to being circumcised. “If his good deeds had made him acceptable to God, he would have had something to boast about. But that was not God’s way. For the Scriptures tell us, ‘Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.’”

I need to constantly be vigilant to cultivate my personal faith in God, and not slip into trusting in my good works. This is a temptation of every religious leader, every member of a faith community. Once a person’s heart has been transformed by the forgiveness of God and released from the burden of sin, and good works proceed from the good heart, it is so easy to then begin to trust in good works and diminish one’s faith in what God has done, is doing, and will do. Guard me today Holy Lord as I drive to Kentucky and camp alone in the woods.

1 comment: