Thursday, July 29, 2010

July 29, 2010

7-29-10 Thursday, 7:40 am Springfield, 74 degrees, sunny, humid.

It was harder than usual to get up this morning. I had a long day yesterday, ran 4 miles in the noon heat, and ended up with 12,000 paces on my pedometer. Today I will continue sermon planning and research, which I enjoy very much, along with some pastoral work. I received an email from Audrey sent last night saying they had arrived safely, and everything was going well. This morning they will celebrate holy communion with the elements we consecrated as they were leaving.

Romans 12:1-21 The practical application of the preceding teachings.
This chapter dovetails with the preparation I have been doing for the fall series on fruitfulness. As I read it from the Wesley Study Bible, the notes refer me to Wesley’s sermon #40 “Christian Perfection”. I will read this sermon this morning and glean it for relevant contribution to this series I am working on.

Verses 11-12 speak to me this morning: “Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer.” Each of these phrases is clear, direct, instructional. I must absorb them today and live them out.

I just took a call from a young man who is homeless. He and I will meet for lunch. I am seeking to be Christ’s presence in his life. Guide me Holy Lord, as I serve you today – in ministry, in planning, rejoicing in hope, patient in suffering and preserving in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment