Monday, July 26, 2010

July 26, 2010

7-26-10 Monday, 8:30 am Springfield, 75 degrees, sunny.

I am writing from my deck, with humming birds feasting at my feeder, insects humming in the trees, a dog barking, and the breeze gently blowing. This is a beautiful setting for morning devotions. I stayed up late until the Cardinals beat the Cubs in the 11th inning, knowing that today is my day off and I could sleep in if needed. Audrey and I both got up around 7:00, and have been enjoying the news and fresh coffee together. Today is her last full day here before leading the team to Honduras.

Romans 9:25-10:13

This passage really speaks to me this morning about the clarity and simplicity of God’s plan of salvation for all people. I read this in the context of preparing for a series of sermons on the cults, and their clouding of the simple gospel. Paul continues to communicate his love for his people, the Jews, God’s chosen ones. He describes how they missed God’s intention as they stumbled over trying to gain God’s approval by keeping the law in total.

Paul quotes Hosea 2:23 in which God says that “those who were not my people, I will now call my people.” In Romans 10:9 he lays it out clearly: “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” And then in verse 13 he concludes “For ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’” (quoting from Joel 2:32)

I love to study the scriptures! Even as I have been familiar with this scripture since 1974, it is part of the “Roman road” group of scriptures, to read it fresh today, in the context of ministry and service where I live today, provides newness, reminder, and revs up my enthusiasm for the message of salvation today. On Saturday I had a great experience with Tom Albin at the School of Lay Ministry in Fayette. I presented a practical example of small groups in the church. He was the main weekend presenter and he was working from a triangle of knowledge, experience and community. This makes great sense to me, and I see the role and relationship of all three. Guide me holy Lord as I work with these three concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment