Friday, July 30, 2010

July 30, 2010

7-30-10 Friday, 7:54 am Springfield; 73 degrees, sunny, birds quietly chirping, dogs barking.

I had a rough night of sleeping last night. Yesterday following my lunch I visited several folks in the hospital, including one who died last night, and one whose heart had stopped as I visited. He was transferred to the ICU and was stabilized, and by 10 pm was beginning to respond. I felt God’s Holy Spirit clearly guiding my steps yesterday. I pray the same for today.

My sermon planning was set aside yesterday with the hospital calls, and I will pick it up this morning. I have all day and evening, and the same tomorrow. I have pondered attending a 5:00 pm Sat. service to experience it as I ponder if and when we should add additional worship options.

Romans 13:1-14
This is a chapter about obeying the law, paying taxes, respecting authority and in summary “love your neighbor as yourself.” Verse 12 states “The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living.” This reminds me of the urgency of living each day in the “shining armor of right living”, taking a “long view of this short life”. I must be careful to apply this scripture to myself first, before inferring application to anyone else.

I was speaking with a young man yesterday to whom this whole chapter applies, and I am recommending Teen Challenge as a vehicle for him to “clothe himself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don’t let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires. (verse 14).

This morning I glanced at the paper and it chronicled the last 15 years of the 30 year-old accused of murdering two elderly people in their home near Lebanon on Monday. It reminds me of our nation’s problem with crime and prisons. His execution would be a great remedy. We have over one million men and women incarcerated, and for many the prison experience hardens them and furthers their life of crime. Residivisum is around 66%. I have three inmates with whom I correspond. I need to write them today, along with a young man at Boys Town.

Guide me Lord in the work of preparing the preaching schedule, and attending to the pastoral needs of the Wesley congregation. You are the great shepherd of the sheep, and it is a privilege to serve under Your Lordship.

No comments:

Post a Comment