Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 31, 2010

7-31-10 Saturday, 7:58 am Springfield; 74 degrees, partly cloudy.

Another night of rough sleeping, including a call at 1:15 which I was glad to take related to a death in a friend’s family. This morning I will stop by church as women gather for the spiritual spa. I will pick up some food from our small group and deliver it to one of our members who is hurting from the events of this week. I will visit a nursing home, and a couple of hospitals. My afternoon and evening will be invested in sermon planning for the months to come, as thankfully the Van Giesens will bring the message tomorrow at Wesley.

Romans 14
This is a great chapter for me as I prepare to preach about Christ-followers and religious cults. Last night I was working on my sermon related to Mormonism, and reading the biography of Joseph Smith. Rom 14:4 “Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master (lord) he stands or falls;” This is a great caution for me, to approach Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.

The rest of this chapter is instructional about self-denial on behalf of others and living with full conviction in obeying God. The presenting issues included those who observed special days and those who treated every day equally; those who avoided meat, either because it had possibly been offered to an idol, or simply to avoid any impurity; and what type of drink was acceptable for followers of the way. Verse 17 is crucial “for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. (18) For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.”

May it be so in my life, and in the life of the people entrusted to my leadership as a pastor. Lord, may my preaching be filled with grace, and my complete purpose be for the growth and health of all whom you call to follow you. Guide me today as I serve you with righteousness, peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment