Friday, July 23, 2010

July 23, 2010

7-23-10 Friday, 5:57 am Grayrock Dr., 75 degrees, clear.

Yesterday was full of fruitful ministry. I led pastors in a peer mentoring group around the study of Ultimate Responsibility by Sue Nelson Kibbey, shared in the baptism of one of our new members with Pastor Jerry at Tablerock lake on the “Moonshine Beach”, and visited with several people at Cox South hospital. This morning I will meet with the planning committee for the Cry Out America event. My main task today is to plan and prepare for my teaching session tomorrow at the school of Lay Ministry on the topic of Small groups in the church. I am also having lunch with a young adult and discussing the possibilities of a stay in Teen Challenge.

Rom 8:9-25

22 – “For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
23 – And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.”

The oil spill in the Gulf, the paralyzed man in the hospital, the hot steamy woods of Kentucky, all groan and suffer. And even we ourselves, Christ-followers today “groan within ourselves” with the expectation for the coming “redemption of our body”, the time of our adoption as sons and daughters, already accomplished with a court date at the end of time to finalize the eternal arrangement.

I attended the court proceedings when my two nephews were adopted in St. Louis. It was a memorable experience in the judge’s quarters along with the social worker and the legal representative of the children. I imagine that Paul is referring to this type of legal adoption as a metaphor for the relationship that we will experience upon death and final transfer from this life to eternity.

Yesterday I received two books I had ordered from Amazon – Robert Wuthnow’s After the Baby Boomers, and New Religions edited by Christopher Partridge. I look forward to reading these two current works, one for my upcoming series on the cults, the other for greater knowledge of the current young adults and how I can best invest myself in their spiritual nurture. My daughter, one who is “after the baby boomers” suggested I read a book titled Being Consumed as I prepare for a session I will teach in August on materialism and simplicity.

Thank you Lord for the gift of this day, and all it will bring. Guide me as I serve you in the role of pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment