Friday, July 2, 2010

July 2, 2010

7-2-10 Friday, 8:25 am, another beautiful day in the Ozarks as viewed from my deck.

Yesterday was a day of work around church and home. I am finalizing projects and to-dos in preparation for being gone for a while, with a couple more things for today. Pastor Jerry and I will visit at 11:00 concerning some loose ends. I spend 8 hours staining this deck yesterday. Having power-washed it the day before, it was ready for the stain. Working on it brought back pleasant memories of my days as a painting contractor in the 70’s. At 9:15 pm I started cleaning the brushes etc, and my back was stiffer than I ever remember at the end of a day of painting!

We are more than halfway through the year. My “God Sightings” one-year Bible is a useful tool. Just opening it reminds me of the passing of time, and the timelessness of Scripture. We are currently near the end of II Kings, and in the later part of Acts. This format really fits my current devotional style.
II Kings 20-22:2
Hezekiah rules in Judah, and mostly pleases the Lord. Isaiah the prophet tells him his illness will result in death, and to put his things in order. Hezekiah prays and weeps, and God tells Isaiah to go back and announce that the king will live an additional 15 years. The sign chosen by Hezekiah is for the sun to go backwards 10 steps in the sundial. He is healed, and proceeds to show the Babylonian delegation all the treasures of Israel. Isaiah chastises him for this, and announces that it will all be carried away to Babylon, and life will not go well for his sons. Hezekiah shirks it off as allowing at least for him to live in peace. His comment and attitude about this reveals much about his character and outlook. I have always felt that his extra 15 years really did not benefit him, his heirs, nor the nation of Israel. Hmmm, what does this say about the extra years provided by technology?

Guide me Lord as I live this day in the light of your love and according to your will. Guard me from seeking anything for myself as I serve You with joy. Strengthen me according to your purposes and calling for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment