Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1, 2011

5-1-11 Sunday, 5:36 am Springfield, 46 degrees, cloudy.

Last Sunday at this time I was on my way downtown, heading for the Easter community worship service at the Hammonds ball field. Today I am preparing for communion and confirmation at Wesley. Yesterday Audrey made phone calls inviting members to host college students on May 12, the Thursday that the APU choir and orchestra will come to Springfield for a concert at Wesley.

Mark 14:32-41

My sermon title is “R U Ready” and this account in scripture is of disciples who were clearly not ready. They kept falling asleep as Jesus was pouring his heart out in the garden of Gethsemane. Proverbs 24:30-34 is another picture of not being ready:
“I passed by the field of the sluggard, and by the vineyard of the man lacking sense; and behold it was completely overgrown with thistles. Its surface was covered with nettles, and its stone wall was broken down. When I saw, I reflected upon it; I looked and received instruction. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, then your poverty will come as a robber, and your want like an armed man.”

As a follower of Christ I never want to fall asleep when He has given a task. As a pastor, tending a spiritual vineyard, I never want lack of preparation to erode effectiveness. Recognizing the need for proper rest, and also the weakness of the flesh, I intend to move forward in faith, obedience and love. Lord, lead me today according to Your grace and mercy, that my steps may be ordered by you.

No comments:

Post a Comment