Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 26, 2011

5-26-11 Thursday, 6:44 am Springfield, 53 degrees, cloudy, rain impending.

Yesterday was a long and strenuous day. From the morning prayer circle, to worship planning, to the pastors’ meeting, a delightful visit with a missionary to India, telephone conversations, computer difficulties as I worked on getting information to Missouri Asbury Seminary Alumni, conversations with a person about becoming a pastor, WOW appreciation dinner and finishing with part 2 of the new member class in which I taught the portions on spiritual formation around scripture and tithing.

Today I will lead the 18th peer mentor group (minus our pastor in Joplin) as we conclude a long process of supporting each other through the Healthy Church Initiative. Tonight I will meet with a couple to discuss their wedding in Spring of 2012. I love being a pastor, being involved in such a wide variety of areas of ministry and encouraging people in their spiritual growth.

These precious moments in the morning are my opportunity to be quiet and reflect upon God’s word, to be still and know that God is God. Even as I will watch the news of local and world events, and as I listen to the birds and watch the sky grow dark with rainclouds, I am open to all that the Holy Spirit will speak to me as I wait upon the Lord here in my family room.

2 Sam 9-11

Chapter 9 contains the details of David’s desire to honor an heir of Saul and Jonathon. He discovers that Jonathon’s son Mephibosheth and gives him the land formerly belonging to Saul, along with a place at David’s table, almost equal to David’s sons.

Chapter 10 opens with the death of the king of Ammon, and Hanun his son becoming king. David desired to show kindness to Hanun as his father had done to David. However, when David’s men arrived in the land of the Ammonites, their motives were interpreted as spying, and they were mocked with their garments sliced and their beards half shaven. This enraged David, and he sent Joab and all the army out to fight. The Ammonites hired the Arameans to join them in the fight.

Chapter 11 involves the tragic tale of David and Bathsheba. It begins with the setting: “In the spring, at the time when kings go out to battle, that David sent Joab ... But David stayed at Jerusalem.” There are so many lessons to be learned from this chapter and applied to the lives of spiritual leaders today.

My verse for meditation today is 10:12 in which the commander, Joab tells his army:
“Be strong, and let us show ourselves courageous for the sake of our people and for the cities of our God; and may the Lord do what is good in His sight.” Today, as a pastor, I desire to be strong, to show myself courageous, and to witness how the Lord will do what is good in His sight. Guide my steps most Holy One as I serve you alone, following the path you have set my feet upon. Guard me from sin and help me to strive with every ounce of energy to please you.

No comments:

Post a Comment