Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May 24, 2011

5-24-11 Tuesday, 5:07 am Springfield, 59 degrees, clear

Today promises to be a dry and sunny day in the Ozarks, with more storms tonight. I will travel to Columbia for the Bishop’s peer mentor group and a discussion of the book Switch. Tonight our life group meets at the church. The devastation in Joplin continues to capture the national spotlight, with President Obama planning a Sunday visit there.

John 13:31-14:14

Jesus is direct in his last conversations with the disciples. In 13:34ff he says: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” I see that this commandment is at the heart of life in the church. Down through the last 2000 years it has been lived out in a variety of ways, and also ignored to the destruction of the witness to the world. As a pastor I must keep this commandment ever before the body.

Jesus gives his disciples, and all who follow him a great promise in 14:12-14. He states that the one who believes in Him shall do the works He does, and even greater, because he goes to the Father. And whatever we ask in his name, He will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. This promise gives me faith today and hope for tomorrow. I must never forget that Jesus has invited me to follow in his footsteps and do the things he did, praying to the Father in his name.

Guide me today, most holy Lord, as I follow in your footsteps, travelling to Columbia, meeting with our bishop and other pastors, connecting with your body in Missouri, where an entire city is grieving the destruction of Sunday’s storm. Use me today to your glory. In Jesus Name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment