Saturday, May 28, 2011

May 28, 2011

5-28-11 Saturday, 9:16 am Springfield, 64 degrees.

II Samuel 13 – the tragic account of Amnon, Tamar and Absalom.
A key verse in this tragedy is verse 21. David hears about Amnon’s rape of Tamar, but will not punish Amnon, because he loves him and he is his firstborn. I wonder how much David’s sin with Bathsheba also figured in to his unwillingness to punish Amnon. Absalom eventually murders Amnon, and the violence in David’s family escalates as was prophesied.

Life is complex with unexpected twists and turns. Tomorrow I will be preaching on the topic “How will you be remembered?” and using John 14:15-21 as the text. In this passage, Jesus tells his disciples that keeping his commandments is evidence of their love for him, and he will ask the Father to send the Advocate, the Spirit of truth to be with them forever. My point will be to encourage hearers to obey Jesus’ commandments, and to be open and responsive to his Holy Spirit.

Jesus, today I will be obedient to your commandments of love demonstrated toward God and toward people. Guard me from selfishness, lead me in your paths, guide me with your Spirit through this 28th day of May, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment