Thursday, May 19, 2011

May 19, 2011

5-19-11 Thursday, 7:13 am Springfield, 60 degrees, cloudy with threat of rain.

Bethany has had a rough couple of days after her surgery. Back at the surgeon’s office yesterday, when the dressing was removed from her foot she experienced immediate relief from the pain. It was wrapped too tightly, but everything is fine underneath and she came home with a new dressing and much less pain. Hopefully the worst is over for her now, and she will notice daily improvement.

We had a great new member class last night, and combined with the Sunday morning class we have about 40 persons in the process of joining. Tonight we will have our quarterly church council meeting, and consider the new vision statement and other HCI items. I will focus on writing this week’s sermon, and designing the June series today between other meetings and conversations.

I Sam 24, 25

David spares Saul’s life in a cave, and Saul realizes that David will be the next king. Samuel dies, and is mourned. Nabal, an agribusinessman, refuses the request from David’s men to share the fruits of the sheep shearing, even though his shepherds were protected by David and his men. Nabal’s wife, Abigail, took upon herself to take supplies to David and his men, and apologized for her husband. When Nabal heard about this, “his heart died within him so that he became as a stone. And about ten days later, it happened that the Lord struck Nabal, and he died.” (25:37-38)
David then took the widow Abigail to be his wife. David had also taken Ahinoam of Jezreel to be his wife.

Guide my steps today, most holy Shepherd, as I navigate this day as a pastor, servant leader, father, husband in Springfield, Missouri. I am your servant; I recognize your work in my life and in the world around me. I desire to be “fighting your battles;” building your kingdom one relationship at a time. I pray that You give me insights as I prepare to teach, and wisdom as I lead the church called Wesley UMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment