Friday, May 27, 2011

May 27, 2011

5-27-11 Friday, 6:56 am Springfield, 51 degrees, partly sunny

Yesterday I discovered that the five baby bluebirds had all died in the birdhouse, and sparrows had overlaid their nest and dead bodies with more nesting material. I surmise that the sparrows might have killed the baby bluebirds, or they died from other causes. I removed the rotting nest, and found three sparrow eggs, which I placed in the other sparrow nest in my yard. Surprise! I hope the other sparrows hatch the eggs mysteriously appearing in their nest.

Life is full of surprises, disappointments, and opportunities. I hope to be open daily to all that God brings into my life, with thorough preparation and total surrender to His will. My goal is to maintain healthy practices in my personal life (exercise, diet, rest, finances, and relationships) and in the corporate life of the church. Reading the accounts of David in II Samuel remind me of how easily a person can get out of balance.

II Sam 12

Nathan the prophet is sent to David with a parable, of a rich man who had many flocks, and a poor man who had one ewe lamb. Upon receiving a visitor, the rich man was unwilling to take from his own flock or herd; rather he took the poor man’s ewe lamb and prepared it for the traveler. This injustice enraged David who demanded the rich man’s life. Nathan the prophet said to David “you are the man”.

God’s message through Nathan to David was: “It is I who anointed you king over Israel and it is I who delivered you from the hand of Saul. I also gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your care, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these!” (12:8)

God’s question to David was: “Why have you despised the word of the Lord by doing evil in His sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, have taken his wife to by your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the sons of Ammon.” (12:9)

Every believer, every leader must pay careful attention to the word of the Lord. “It is profitable for teaching, for reproof, correction, for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” (II Tim 3:16-17) My intention is to hold my actions accountable to God’s word, and also to others in covenant relationship so that I might not sin against God. David’s sin came close to ruining his life, and had long-term consequences within his family, and beyond. Guide and guard my steps, most holy Lord, today and every day as I walk with you in the light of your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment